While tackling Fall cleaning in my home office recently, I came upon an email I received and printed (and subsequently stored and forgotten about) in March of 2000. Meant as lessons for humanity as we entered the new millennium, the email article featured the Dalai Lama’s INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE. Almost 15 years into the 21st century, his lessons are as applicable as ever. I’d like to share his words of wisdom with you.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Be gentle with the earth.
If you read through the sentences quickly, I invite you to go back and slowly re-read them, tuning into your body as you do so. Note any reactions, even the most subtle, such as a tightening in your chest, stomach or throat. A quickening of your heart beating or moisture in the palms of your hands are other natural biofeedback signs. Your body has a beautiful way of signaling that a thought or concept is significant to you. Perhaps write down any of the statements that “speak to you” today.
Also, did any feelings of guilt or shame innocently arise while reading the sentences? If so, forgive yourself for any perceived weaknesses, mistakes or limitations. Blame and shame surface as golden opportunities to be healed and released, not to punish you, and they heal best in an environment of self-compassion and understanding.
And finally, visualize practicing the statements that resonate most powerfully with you. In this way, you are setting an intention to create change that enhances not only your life but all of humanity as well.
Wishing you a most beautiful and peaceful day,